Home Construction Approvals

Before you set out to plan the construction of your home, it is advisable to know about all the approvals that would be required for home construction. Approvals from local authorities are mandatory to avoid any kind of penalties that might be levied as a result of not adhering to the rules or guidelines for home construction.

Here is a list of approvals that you would need, before you start constructing your home:

Sanction Plan

The Sanction plan is the graphical representation or design of how the construction is supposed to look like. It is the plan which needs to be “sanctioned” by the local authorities.

Architect – This has to be designed by a registered/licensed architect, who is aware of the guidelines for home construction. Based on your requirements and the size of the plot, the architect will come up with a design or plan to suit your needs as well be in accordance within the stated guidelines.

Structural Engineer – You will also need to consult a structural engineer for details of the reinforcements that are to be used like the depth of your foundation, the size of gravel that needs to be used, pillar width, etc.

This plan is required to be submitted to the local authorities along with the requisite documents. After verification of documents and plan, you will be a given a go-ahead along with a Commencement certificate. On receiving the approval, you need to start the construction within 2 years of the approved date. Also, you will need to ensure that your builder or contractor does not deviate from the approved plan.

Documents that might be needed along with the Sanction plan (this may not be mandatory for individual houses):

  • Land related documents such as
  • Sale Deed – A Sale Deed is an important legal document which is an evidence for the sale and transfer of ownership of property from the seller to the buyer.
  • Encumbrance certificate – An Encumbrance certificate is issued by the registration authorities. This is a proof of free title and ownership of the property and also is a proof that the property does not have any legal dues.
  • Land Survey report – This report is a survey of the land on which the house is to be constructed and validates if the property is a residential, industrial, commercial, or agricultural land. This survey has to be done by an authorized agency or person. In case of any deviation, example – if the land is an agricultural land and is being used for residential purpose then an NOC from the local authorities would be required in order to build at this specific location.
  • Soil test report: This report gives details of the quality of soil. This evaluation has to be carried out by an authorized agency or person.
  • Structural report: This report is to be given by a registered/ licensed structural engineer, who will study the design and give a report mentioning details on the structural plan for the house.
  • NOC (No Objection Certificate): An NOC or “No objection certificate” is a document that is required from the local authorities like Pollution Control board, neighboring properties, and the local Municipality. In case you need lift facilities you will need an NOC for this as well. This may or may not be applicable to your specific property.

While all the above home construction approvals might overwhelm you, it is easily achievable if done in a methodical manner. So list down all the things to do and get-set to build your beautiful home.

Leave Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

clear formSubmit